Total Pageviews

Monday, April 12, 2010

Masters Work

Whew, sorry it has been such a long time. I had hoped to post more frequently so I am setting up a reminder for myself. I have been caught up in the general spin of life over the past two weeks, getting ready for Easter, making meals playing and leanring with Ari and my Masters level classes. I am pursuing my Masters in Education and focusing on the English Language Learner, which means that right now my main class is educational research, and I have chosen a research topic, Acquiring languages. I suppose I should have chosen such an in depth topic for my Thesis rather than a regular class but maybe this small amount of research will prove to be a great base layer upon which I can build an excellent thesis. I have been reading scholarly information left and right and trying to create this wonderfully informational research paper about how we as humans acquire not only our first language, but also a second or third, etc., with comparisons between language learning in the home and language learning in the classroom setting, whether as an ELL student or a native speaker trying to learn a second language in the U.S. While this topic is extremely interesting to me, I did not consider the huge amount of time that would be required to finish this in a mere six weeks as well as the tangents of information I would be chasing down. Now that you know about the general nature of my topic, I was hoping to get some feed back from those of you who are bilingual or more, and/or are teaching your children a second or third or multiple languages in the home. I have several questions that I will post below and I would appreciate any and all response, either in the comment section or feel free to email me at CarrMZC@gmail.com.
*What method(s) did you use in teaching your child another language?
*How fluent would you consider your child to be in the non-dominant language?
*At what age was your child able to converse easily in the non-dominant language, and at what age did you start teaching him/her?
*Did you encounter any setbacks while teaching the non dominant language?
*Have you tried language learning methods other than the one you settled on?
*What ah ha! moments do you especially enjoy?
*How did you learn the non-dominant language? Were you a bilingual child or did you learn in a school setting?
*Is there anything you think I forgot that you want to add?

Thanks to everyone who leaves a comment or email =)

1 comment:

  1. Article contains so many fruitful information which will be liked by the readers as in my opinion
    this is the best article in this category.
    Norwegian dictionary

    ReplyDelete